Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.

On January 22, 1942, the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of servicemen to return the coupon after filling it out.  The following February 1st, 300 mothers met in the Durant Hotel in Flint Michigan. Captain George H. Maines, who had conceived the idea for this group, acted as the chair of this first meeting.  After receiving over 1000 responses from the ad, it was decided to form a permanent organization.

On February 6th the organization was reported on Congressional record. Chapters then formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa and Washington. In June of 1960 the organization was chartered by Congress.

Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II.  They worked in hospitals and train stations, packed care packages for troops and were a working part of homeland security during times of war. The organization waned in size over the years, but was held together by mothers showing pride in both their children and their country. In recent times, we have begun to grow in strength.  Being attacked on our own soil has once again started mothers hanging flags in their windows at home proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during a time of war.

The organization not only provides support for active duty service personnel, they also promote patriotism, assist Veterans organizations and are available to assist in homeland volunteer efforts to help our country remain strong.

For more information about the
National Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.,
visit their web site at: